RURAL HEALTH PROFESSIONS
Illinois Behavioral Health Workforce Education, Learning & Leadership (BHWELL) Program
The Illinois Behavioral Health Workforce Education, Learning, & Leadership (BHWELL) Program is a clinical training and certificate program at the University of Illinois for Masters of Social Work for students who want to learn patient-centered, team-based models for integrating health and mental health services in primary care settings in rural and underserved areas in Illinois during their field placement internship. BHWELL is funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
BHWELL scholars complete specialized MSW coursework on Integrated Care. Through the program, students:
- Participate in two or more Interprofessional Education (IPE) events for health professions
- Complete a 2-semester internship in a BHWELL-approved site
- Participate in ongoing (mostly online) seminars during a 2-semester approved BHWELL field placement, with emphasis on interprofessional, team-based, integrated behavioral health care and implementation.
BHWELL works closely with the National Center for Rural Health Professions (NCRHP) and the Illinois Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Network to identify and develop partnerships with primary care sites, invite prospective BHWELL students to apply and to offer on-going support for interprofessional practice during students’ BHWELL field placements.
Applications are submitted through the BHWELL website.
To be eligible for the BHWELL Program, students must:
- Be accepted into the MSW program and maintain good standing
- Apply to the BHWELL scholars program and be selected
- Pursue the clinical concentration; all focus areas welcome to apply
- Be committed to working in rural/underserved area after graduation for at least two to five years
PhD, LCSW, Project Director
University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford
1601 Parkview Avenue
Rockford, Illinois 61107
- Register for a FREE Virtual Student Program!March 27, 2023 - 5:52 pm
Illinois Primary Health Care Association (IPHCA) is excited to announce their fourth virtual student program, “Understanding and Serving America’s Underserved”. IPHCA has hosted this program for the past 10 years. Through a virtual, self-paced format, they are excited to offer this program to even more students interested in pursuing a career serving the underserved. “Understanding […]