RURAL HEALTH PROFESSIONS
Demand for pharmacists is often high in rural communities where access to medical services may be limited. The concentration in rural pharmacy services, also known as the Rural Pharmacy Education (RPHARM) Program, is an option within the Doctor of Pharmacy degree program. The goal of the RPHARM Program is to educate students about the unique challenges and opportunities present in rural communities and to prepare them to practice pharmacy in a patient-centered and interprofessional manner.
Students enrolled in this concentration learn alongside students from the University of Illinois College of Medicine’s Rural Medicine (RMED) Program and the University Illinois College of Nursing’s Rural Nursing (RNURSING) Program.
Unique benefits for RPHARM students:
- Participate in add-on Rural Health Professions (RHP) curriculum with medical students- same classes, same assignments
- Become accustomed to working with other healthcare professionals and develop a network of peers and future colleagues that have similar life experiences
- Understand the advantages of practicing in a small community and learn how to address the specific healthcare needs of this population
- Complete rotations in rural communities to further gain expertise and training in a rural community
Program objectives for RPHARM students:
- Evaluate the health needs of a rural community
- Create a community-based project
- Experience the Institutional Review Board (IRB) process
- Complete a community-based project, including data collection
- Present a community-based project at the UIC Health Sciences Campus-Rockford Annual Research Day
Admission into the Rural Pharmacy Education (RPHARM) Program requires acceptance into the UIC PharmD program. Interested applicants should:
- Contact the Director of the Rural Pharmacy Education Program
Select students are admitted to the RPHARM Program. These students typically come from rural backgrounds or are interested in practicing pharmacy in a rural community.
University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford
1601 Parkview Avenue
Rockford, Illinois 61107
- Upcoming EventsSeptember 21, 2023 - 6:05 pm
Below are two upcoming opportunities to add to your learning and skill set! VII Annual Latinx Health Symposium – Oct 13-14 – This academic event will gather Latinx affirming health experts, medical Spanish educators and leaders to provide education centered on Latinx health topics for physicians, other health professionals, and students. Illinois CHW Association Summit 2023 – […]