6-Week Summer Preceptorships
The Rural Interprofessional Health Professions Summer Preceptorship is a rural immersion program for health professions students. It is a six-week, paid, full-time shadowing opportunity set in a rural Illinois community.
This rural internship provides an opportunity for highly motivated students to learn in a real-world setting that promotes health professionals from different disciplines working together and supports learning through active and organized participation in the community.
What to expect as a preceptorship student:
- Complete over 15 days of shadowing in over 10 different hospital departments and/or community clinics in a rural community
- Collaborate with other preceptorship students to complete a Community Service Learning (CSL) Project focused on a real-life community health priority
- Become acquainted with rural lifestyle
- Have a better understanding of rural healthcare needs and interventions
- Have increased awareness, knowledge, and appreciation for a variety of health professions disciplines
Program objectives for preceptorship students:
- To learn about the social and health characteristics, needs, and resources
- of a specific rural community
- To understand the roles and responsibilities of different healthcare providers in a rural community
- To reflect on a future career as a healthcare provider in a rural community
- and potential interest in this location as a future career location
Preceptorship students are exposed to all aspects of a rural community. Students will receive a $1,500 stipend and, in addition, housing and limited meals are provided by the host sites. Time is available during the week and on weekends for students to explore the community.
Students of all health disciplines are encouraged to apply. Students must have completed sophomore year of undergraduate studies by the start of the program. Four to six students representing different health professions are chosen for each experience.
The Preceptorship Program will be available in two locations in summer 2019: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital in Centralia, IL and Gibson Area Hospital and Health Services in Gibson City, IL. Students will have the opportunity to rank their site preferences on their application. Students are expected to stay in the community throughout the duration of the Preceptorship.
Program dates and a link to the Preceptorship application are listed below. In order to be considered, applications must be submitted by Sunday, February 17, 2019.
SSM Health St. Mary’s in Centralia, IL
June 10 – July 23, 2019
Gibson Area Hospital and Health Services
June 12 – July 24, 2019
The Preceptorship application package is available HERE.
For more information:
View the preceptoship brochure
See an example of a Student Schedule
Gibson City FAQ
Please click on article title to read about the summer 2012 preceptorship.
Summer Program Gives Students Experience in Rural Illinois Hospitals, Rural Monitor Newsletter, Fall 2012.
Vicky Rhine, MPH
Assistant Director of External and Pipeline Projects
email@example.com | 815.395.5854