Rural Health Careers Camp
Are you interested in learning about job opportunities in the healthcare field? Do you need help preparing for the college application process? Are you looking to meet other high school students with similar interests to yours? The Rural Health Careers Camp can help you with all this and more!
The Rural Health Careers Camp is a four-day, overnight educational program for students interested in the healthcare field. Students will participate in hands-on learning activities and labs that represent different healthcare careers and stay in the dorms at Rockford University to experience living on a college campus!
What to expect as a camper
- Participate in over 25 activities related to healthcare professions including, but not limited to: accident simulation, dissection lab, college information session, hospital tour, and CPR certification.
- Learn directly from current healthcare professionals and have the opportunity to ask them about why they love their career
- Meet camp counselors, who are current health professions students
- Live like a college student on the Rockford University campus
- Make new friends from the area with similar interests
Who should apply
We are looking for rural Illinois students who are passionate about helping others and would like to know more about getting into careers that will help them get there.
We accept students from the following counties, with preference for underclassmen students: Boone, Bureau, Carroll, DeKalb, Henderson, Henry, JoDaviess, Knox, LaSalle, Lee, Mercer, Ogle, Putnam, Rock Island, Stark, Stephenson, Warren, Whiteside and Winnebago. Seniors and students outside of these counties will be considered, pending availability.
Students must fill out an application in order to be considered. Applications will be available on this page in January. Announcements for the application will be made on the NCRHP Facebook Page.
The cost of the camp is an all-inclusive $100 fee, which covers all activities, meals, and housing. The camp fee is not due until campers are notified of their acceptance to the program.
Are you a health professions student interested in applying to be a camp counselor? Application instructions for the camp counselor position will be available on this page in January.
The camp is a partnership between the National Center for Rural Health Professions (NCRHP) University of Illinois Rockford, Rockford University, Rock Valley College, Illinois Area Health Education Center and the Illinois Critical Access Hospital Network (ICAHN).